Thursday, February 20, 2014

Reviewing my Speech

Watching myself presenting was definitely weird, but yet very helpful. Overall, I think my speech was pretty good. I was very prepared for it and really wanted to do good. I think that my introduction was the worst part by far. I look down at my note cards before every new sentence or topic. Then, I got tangled up on my words while saying my thesis and had to restart in order to say it the way I wanted to. I probably should have not practiced it so much word for word. Once I got into the body of my speech I seem to be less tense. Maybe it was because I was getting more comfortable with talking or maybe because I didn’t practice that part word for word so it was more laid back. However, I said “uhm”. Taking a public speaking class definitely taught me that filler words are unneeded and distracting and I have actually never said “uhm” before in a speech, so I’m basically mortified. I also said “like” about 4-5 times, which is also distracting and I should not do in the future. I think that as my speech went on, I spoke faster and faster. I have a HUGE problem with talking fast in general and being nervous just adds to the speed. I should have taken a breath and collected myself and slowed down. I thought that my body language with my hands was actually decent. In the past, I have been known to just stand there with no movement. This time however, I was good with the movement of my hands, but bad with the swaying. I shouldn’t have crossed my legs and should have walked around a little. Next time, I will make sure to slow down, not read off my note cards as much, not recite word for word to make it more casual, not say “uhm” or “like”, and have better body language. 

No comments:

Post a Comment